Let’s state right from the start: annoying a journalist is a bad thing. You only have to look at the tabloids to see that anyone who utters the slightest bit of criticism of the newspapers in any way gets a hard time.
Basically, if you annoy them, you will come off worse because they’ll be more inclined to be critical in any article they write, or to be far more challenging during an interview.
So, what are the top 9 ways you might annoy a journalist (even if they seem quite reasonable to you!)?
1. Suggest questions for them – or ask for a list of questions before an interview
2. Ask to see a story before publication
3. Ask them to send you a copy of the publication
4. Use a hands-free phone for a telephone interview
5. Record your interview with them
6. Criticise the media
7. Give short factual answers to questions, with no more detail
8. Mention ‘key messages’
9. Tell them you’ve been media trained!